It’s funny to think of two of my sisters preparing for actual human babies, while I’m over here having a huge adjustment to two new babies in my life: our new (to us) cats Dolly and Deuc (pronounced Duke)! Deuc is short for Deucalion, an evil character from Teen Wolf and also someone in Greek Mythology. His original name was Duncan but I have a cousin Duncan so that felt weird. Deuc is a little evil, so it makes us laugh to have him named after this guy:
Anyway the cats are 1 year old and they definitely change our lives in similar (but less drastic) ways as actual babies. Some people call their cats fur babies but that mental image (a baby covered in fur… with fangs…) is unpleasant so I don’t like to refer to them as that.
Ways our cats are like babies:
1) They keep us up at night sometimes. Our apartment only has two doors: one to get out, and one to the bathroom. So unless we want to lock the kitties in the bathroom all night, they roam around free bugging us. No matter how much we play with them, they seem to still have energy to be up at random hours! Some nights they’re respectful and don’t really come onto the bed until we’re awake, and those nights they’re pretty cute to wake up to:
2) They change our schedule and our routines. Instead of being out all evening, we have to go home and feed the cats!
3) Similar to diapers, we have to change and clean their litter box. Gross.
4) We have to buy them things. Sometimes this is annoying, and sometimes this is fun. Our noteworthy purchases include a remote controlled mouse to watch them chase around, a little water fountain to drink from, and this really cute cup to scoop their food with.
5) They’re nice to cuddle with when they’re in a good mood. Seeing Marcus with the kitties melts my heart 🙂
6) They destroy things like toddlers. Here is Dolly refusing to let me straighten out our fouton cover. They also pushed our wok off the top of the fridge, which is impressive considering how heavy it is.
7) They make noises we wish we understood. Here I am having a conversation with Duke.
8) And no matter how needy and annoying they can be, you can’t help but love having a little creature around.
I hope you’ll come meet them, sisters! And I can’t wait to meet the little humans on the way!
P.S. Happy National Cat Day. HOW FITTING